Saturday, 15 January 2011

Nag Champa Soap

My fifth batch of soap was my first one for 2011. I was keen to get back to soapmaking after having spent a couple of weeks away on holiday ... plus I was keen to try the Nag Champa FO that I bought from Aussie Soap Supplies. Nag Champa is one of my all time favourite incense flavours.

This was the first time I trialled a recipe I 'made up'. I decided on this one, after more research and reading in a few places, that coconut oil should be no more than 20% of the total oils. I know opinions vary on this, but it was worth trying.
Image Hosted by

My Nag Champa soap is made of olive oil, rice bran oil and coconut oil. I added 33 gm of Nag Champa FO when the soap mix was 'light trace'. Then I removed about 200 gm and added 8 gm of black oxide (that I'd mixed with a little water) to that. I poured the soap into two silicon moulds, then poured half the 'black soap' down the centre of each. One I mixed it in the top half quite a bit, and the other I barely mixed ... just a few gently swirls.

I covered the moulds with cling and then wrapped them in towels.

24 hours later ... they're still quite soft and I couldn't unmould them due to feeling that my finger would go into the soap. It's hot and humid ... wonder if this is affecting the soaps ability to set.
Image Hosted by

48 hours later ... the soap is still soft, but I unmoulded it. I left the blocks sitting for a few hours then cut them. The cutting was a bit messy ... I think due to the soap still being too soft.
Image Hosted by

The smell and the look ... I love them both!

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails